facebook linkedin youtube twitter instagrampintrest

Kravitz & Guerra

Physical Address: 905 Brickell Bay Dr., Lobby, Miami FL 33131 - USA

Mailing Address: 801 Brickell Bay Dr., Business Box 18, Miami FL 33131 - USA

o immigration visa facebook 1140x570 - Your F-1 Visa Expires: What Are Your Options?

Graduating from an American university may grant you numerous privileges, but may also affect the duration of your legal US residence. Completing your studies may mean that your F-1 is about to expire soon. What are your options?

First, you should plan a meeting with an immigration attorney who will be able to evaluate your specific case and suggest effective solutions.

The good news is that there are several options that students with an expired visa may pursue, and they should be able to renew their legal status without problems if they obtain the right legal help.

After they graduate, students may apply for an ’’extension’’ of their F-1 status, called OPT (Optional Practice Training). An OPT allows students to legally work in the United States for the period of one full year.  One major condition of an OPT is that those people have to work in an area directly related to their academic field.  Students may apply for an OPT up to 90 days before they finish their program of study. After their OPT expires, students can enroll in university for an advanced degree (Master’s, MBA or PhD) and obtain another F-1 visa.

If they find a qualified position at a US company, they may apply for a temporary work visa (H-1B). The H-1B visa is renewable every three years. Keep in mind that there are tight deadlines concerning the H1B process and you have to consult an experienced immigration attorney in advance to understand what type of documentation you must prepare. It is imperative that you submit all necessary documents before the deadline.  H1B has a yearly cap of 65,000 but this restriction may be dependent on your education level. Graduate students fall into a different visa cap category, and if you work for a non-profit organization, you will most likely be exempt from this restriction. Consult an attorney to understand your privileges and limitations.

In the long run, your employer might also be able to file an application for Permanent Residence, depending on your qualifications level and years of residence in the United States.

Always consult an experienced immigration attorney to understand better your options.

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.